Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday Tales

Stress!    
 So as I mentioned in a previous post, I hurt my back at work. Now no one ever told me how confusing worker's compensation was. There is all this 60/40 stuff with insurance covering 60% of my salary and 40% coming from my sick time...etc...etc...and once I run out of sick time, my company pays my health insurance but then I do a pay back thing, etc...etc...This is my opinion. I got hurt doing my job. I got hurt carrying out the duties assigned to me. Shouldn't my company pay for it all? Why am I going to be the one to be worrying in a few weeks? Shouldn't they be worrying? This makes me want to get back to work right away despite my injury because, lets face it. The pain in my back is much more bearable than the pain in the butt that worker's comp seems to be! Anyone have any thoughts on worker's compensation and any experience with it? Feel free to comment!

One favorite Fall Recipe
Every fall there are a few recipes that I make because they warm the soul.
Today, I've decided to share my recipe for Corn Chowder.
If you have any wonderful fall recipes feel free to share under comments!

Corn Chowder
6 Cans of Creamed Corn
1 Cup of Frozen Corn
1 Pint Fat-free (or Low Fat) Half and Half
1 Package of Bacon (Chopped)
1 Large Russet Potato
1 Cup Chopped Onions
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cinnamon to taste

Put first three ingredients in a large soup pot. Simmer on low. Add the seasoning as it simmers.
Cook bacon and onions in a large frying pan with one tablespoon margarine on medium.
Chop the potato and cook it in the microwave to soften for 3-5 minutes.
Add it to the frying pan and cook on medium until bacon is fully cooked and potatoes are slightly brown (5-10 minutes).
Add the mixture from the frying pan to the soup and cook on medium to low for one hour. The goal is to have the soup bubble just slightly so it reduces and becomes very creamy.
I always serve this with fresh bread from the bread maker and a very large spoon! Enjoy!

PT!
I finally have appointments set up for physical therapy! I am looking forward to feeling better and working on strenghtening my back so I don't have to go through this ever again! Thank God that this is finally settled!

1 comment:

Momma Megan said...

Looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing!