Tuesday, October 19, 2010

And now something happy for a change!

    I just want to let you all know how great it feels sometimes to be a teacher. I teach children with emotional, psychological and behavioral disabilities and it is a struggle most of the time. But I was reminded today why I do it.
    Okay, so here is the back story. Last year, when I started at this school, one of the students in my homeroom decided to test me (well more than one, but this student in particular). He and I never really struggled to get along, but when he did earn consequences in my class, he would act out in a childish manner--like breaking my container of colored pencils or dumping my plants on the ground (he doesn't act this way with anyone else.) I know some of you may be sitting at home and reading this and thinking that there is too much emotional involvement in this teacher-student relationship...but here is the thing...with these kids, if they don't respect and care about you--you will never reach them. So while we don't tell the kids too much about our lives, we invest so much of ourselves in them. It is the only way we can be successful at this job.
     Anyway...so this student knows I am there for him, and he knows he can depend on me. When I hurt my back and was out for two weeks, this student was one of the first to come to my class and want to visit (he is no longer in my homeroom.)
     Today, I covered Culinary for a few minutes and brought this student into the cafeteria to put something in the freezer..and out of the blue he looked at me and said "I am going to miss you next year when I'm gone." (He is a successful high school student--he is graduating with the highes GPA in our school) Now to some of you who work with kids like this, you know how big of an accomplishment this is for the STUDENT....not for me. This kid doesn't trust people, he doesn't know how to behave in society most of the time, he struggles with impulse control and a lot of other things...and for him to admit that to anyone ever took a lot of growth and strength. So I salute that student today...and I salute kids like him everywhere who get dealt a crappy hand way before they should ever have to face reality..and I especially thoese kids who despite the crap they have been dealt have utilized the supports that have been set up for them and become successful (even if it just means admitting that you will miss someone). All kids are special and they all deserve our love and respect (not just the 'good' kids, but the ones who have been hurt or forgotten along the way...they didn't choose the life they have...lets help them change it for the better.)

No comments: