Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dogs can be like children...

     Sorry, but I dont have children yet, but my dogs are often like children. Right now my husband is wrestling with a wet, 30 lb., standard, long-haired daschund who has had a belly ache for two days and has made an impression not only in the bathroom but also in the bedroom...twice. Last night she decided she had to go, bad. She jumped up from the couch and instead of barking at me (I was still up) she high-tailed it into the bedroom where my husband was fast asleep. She then proceeded to bark once and go on the rug. Why? Who knows. So, being the nice wife that I am, I put down my snowman cross-stitch project and went to the rescue. Today my hubby is returning the favor by bathing our dirty little girl and once again making her pretty.
     This is definitely not the first incident where the dogs have behaved in a child-like manner. The other dog puked in our bed, right at my feet around 3 a.m. once...the puke went through the two comforters and the sheet and right onto my feet...so fun!
     They wake us up by staring at us and putting their paws on our faces. They need to go to the vets at the most inconvenient of times. When one gets sick, the other follows suit shortly after. They need our love 24/7. They whine, they beg, and they hate bath time.
     Now I know my dogs do not require as much attention as children. But they still do require a big committment. And they really do know how to create inconveniences.
     However, unlike children, my dogs are forever loyal, are always happy to see us when we get home, they want to cuddle and kiss us 24/7, they only eat once/day and their clothing budget is nearly none (yes they do have clothes though LOL). My dogs will never grow up and go off to college (no college tuition yay!) but their lives are much shorter than we would like. Yet they have been my children for five years and even when God does bless us with human children, my dogs will continue to have my heart, because we all must face it, they are awfully cute!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Our fur babies are the bestest! It's hard for me to even ponder ten years into the future without my Bear.

Rachel said...

I completely agree...I don't like thinking of the day when they are not with us anymore.