Friday, October 8, 2010

So tired of being tired!

     About three weeks ago I tripped up the stairs at work..yes UP the stairs and hurt my back. I am not proud of being a klutz (I have always been a klutz by the way), but it is part of who I am. Now most of the time, I manage to trip, bump myself, and fall, gracefully and without injury, except this last time. I now have two bulging disks in my lower back and got a free and oh so fun ride in the ambulance when it happened. I was in the hospital for four days and thank all of the wonderful people who cared for me and came to visit me or wished me well!
     I am grateful that I am able to work half days and cook meals for me and my husband. But I still want my old life back. I'm not one to stop doing things and I'm not one to sit still for very long. I like to be busy and I hate when I am limited by an injury. I can't even do the dishes because the bending and twisting would leave me right back where I started. So I work from 7:45 in the morning until around 11:45-12:00 and then I come and sit and sit some more and then later, I sit more. I am sitting at 2:30 on Friday afternoon typing this and I am so frustrated that I missed a training this afternoon (even though I'd resent it if I had to go!) and I am frustrated that making a lasagna for my husband's boss's sick wife made my back ache so badly. All I want is my life back!!!!!
     I know I should be thankful that I am not injured worse than this and I should be greatful that we can still carry out our upcoming plans, but I want to feel the way I did before I fell and I want to feel that way now! Yes I sound like a chid but haven't we all felt this way once or twice? I'm just saying! Here are some ways to prevent an injury like mine.

2 comments:

Stevie said...

i wish you talked like this more often - this is an entirely diff side of you that ive never seen and its nice.
i hurt my back much the same way you did in august 2008. i was laid up in bed for weeks, had to use crutches, no one came and saw me either but i dont like being bothered when im not feeling well. my right foot was numb.tingly for 6 months and my right leg is still stiff from then. it sucks. i remember i couldnt move literally at all and liz had to take me to a chiropractor and it was the most useless ive ever felt but that marked the beginning of me asking for help which is not something i ever did before then. it was a weird time bc i could barely drive myself to work for a long time. every now and then i get twinges of pain form doing something for a split second so i stop doing whatever it was immediately. i had a bulging disk too from lifting something improperly. it was an awful time but it was life changing. it made me stop and think about everything and ive become infinitely more grateful for what i can do now. same thing when i broke my foot- i had to use a wheelchair for a week. im so grateful to be able to walk and i try not to take advantage of it. this happened to you for a reason - try to find that reason and use it as a positive thing.

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for the thoughts. I have a new appreciation for what my body can do when it is whole and I can't wait for that time again! I also am amazed at how fast the body heals; three weeks ago I couldn't walk because the pain was so bad and now I can walk, bend and move around (with some limitation). God is amazing for making us the way we are and I am reminded of that everyday!!!