Monday, November 29, 2010

Crazy Days are here again!

     It never ceases to amaze me! Christmas time rolls around and busy becomes the norm! I'm not just talking about our schedules, right ladies? I'm talking about our brains, our bodies, our everything is set to Go, Go, Go! As I'm sitting here and typing this quick little post, I have three to five to twenty things and thoughts and to-do's running through my head. From when I am going to buy so and so's present to when are the bills due to when do I need to mail in that stuff so my student loans are on forbearance until I'm done my five years teaching low-income kids....to wrap the presents, to make out the Christmas cards....and the list goes on and on and on.
     No offense to the men out there, but women are forever multi-tasking and taking on the stress of the family. Every night I come home and make dinner, make sure the bills are paid and make sure all of the mail is opened and organized. I'm not saying my husband doesn't do anything, he empties the dishes, puts the laundry away, makes sure the pellet stove is in good working order (and keeping me warm!) to many other tasks around the house. However, women do tend to bear the brunt of the multi-tasking, stressful duties around the house. Now my husband would say, but you wanted to use your bank, so you have to pay the bills. Yes, I did take that responsibility on, he is right...however, it has been four years, when will that deal end?
     My point is, for many years the woman was the homemaker. Her job was to manage the home and the children and make sure everything in the business of Home was taken care of. Now, many of us aren't just homemakers, we are teachers, doctors, lawyers, hairdressers, you name it, we are it. And because of this, there is much more stress on women today than ever before. Nevermind the fact that this world moves at an unGodly pace and there is much more stress on EVERYONE than ever before. No wonder heart disease is the number one killer of women, no wonder inferility is on the rise. We make ourselves sick with stress, and worry, and all of the nastiness that our modern lives entail.
     As a modern, working wife and homemaker (because even though I'm a teacher, I make a home as well), I urge you--all of you stressed out overworked women. Stop. Take 20 minutes and read a book. Take a bath. Take a breath if that is all you have time for. And pat yourselves on the back. Because before you know it--it will be January 1st and we will have 11 months to prepare for next year's onslaught of stress, chaos and how the heck can I buy that person a present too????!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I left my four kids home and went Christmas shopping last night. Hadn't done any Christmas shopping yet! But, I did stop at the library first and pick up six books. Adult one! For me! All by myself! With no kids in tow! =) It was lovely, especially being able to sit up and read one of the books until 12:30am.

Rachel said...

So nice! I went to Target tonight to return something and just wandered around for a bit! All I bought was a remote control to turn the tree on and off--no gifts, no junk, just something to make our lives easier!